What’s the job?
NUS Scotland is one of the most influential campaigning organisations in Scotland, securing significant wins for students and promoting the value of further and higher education.
As part of the NUS Scotland team, you will be the key point of contact for media and will work daily to promote our campaigns and ensure the voice of Scotland’s students is heard in the media, by Scotland’s decision-makers and the wider public.
You will take the lead on generating pro-active press coverage for the work of NUS Scotland, maximising our influence within Scottish political life and helping to secure significant and positive change for Scottish education.
You will provide press and public affairs support, including policy development, for elected student officers and membership. You will play a key role in influencing decision-makers on issues affecting Scotland’s students.
So come and do something you love, somewhere a little bit different.
Who you are:
- You’ll be totally at home fielding media enquiries, drafting and issuing media releases
- With people at the heart of your approach you will be excited to build and maintain relationships – with press contacts, key-decision makers and external stakeholders.
- With collaboration at the heart of your approach you’ll be excited to work with colleagues and members to develop new campaigns, widen our reach and deliver wins for students
- You’ll have no problems developing our policy briefings and using your knowledge to monitor relevant political activity
- Your personal values will mean you are committed to being part of an environment that promotes equality of opportunity whilst recognising and valuing diversity.
In return for your passion and experience we offer the flexibility for work-life balance, a competitive salary for the non-profit sector and excellent holidays and benefits.
We’re committed to equality of opportunity for all. We welcome applications from individuals regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, gender, or disability. You can be yourself here whoever you are, be proud of the work you do and build a career in a place that knows different is good.
We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates, as they are under-represented within NUS currently.
Who are we?
Part political, partly business and part charity – NUS is a third sector membership organisation with a twist! The student movement in the UK is made up of 500 students’ unions and 7 million students. NUS sits at the heart of this movement, delivering a national student voice and supporting local students’ unions to grow.
We’ve been going through some big changes this year, exploring new ways of developing and delivering winning student-led campaigns. So, this is a particularly exciting time to join us! Expect fast-paced delivery alongside conversations about new ways of doing things in the future.”
For further information and to apply visit our website
Closing date for applications is 13th April 2020
If you’re successfully shortlisted we’ll see you at an interview on 29th April 2020.
You may have experience of the following: Press Consultant, Public Affairs Consultant, Public Affairs Executive, Public Affairs Officer, Press Officer, Communications Officer, Communications Executive, Marketing Communications, Marcoms, Digital Communications, Digital Marketing, Higher Education, Lobbying, etc.